Parish Hall, 1 Church Street, Upper Weston, Bath
Weston Parish Hall is a late 19th/early 20th century building situated within the Weston character area of the Bath conservation area and World Heritage Site. The current building, likely either a replacement to or a significant re-modelling of the earlier parish hall established in 1817 and run as the local village school, presents a double gabled frontage in Bath stone blockwork, an unusual later infill to an earlier mid-18th century streetscape of which the Grade II 28-31 Trafalgar are a surviving remainder. Due to the steep level change between the high street and Church Street, the Parish Hall frontage has an elevated aspect over Weston high street, as well as forming a streetscape of particular public interest as part of the Cotswold Way. The value of the building therefore largely derives from its social value and its contribution to the varied architectural landscape of Weston.
We are supportive of the opportunity for improved streetscape activation. The proposed sign would promote the history of development in the local Weston area as well as highlighting the route of the Cotswold Way, and would be an addition of public interest. Possible impact on the appearance of the conservation area would be outweighed by public benefit, although we strongly recommend that further details are clarified as part of this application such as the material of the proposed board and how it would be mounted.
We encourage consideration of timber signage that would be better in keeping with the more traditional material characteristics of the area. Where the image is ‘applied’ to the board surface, possibly as a vinyl, we encourage the use of a surface finish that is not overly glossy or shiny to avoid an overly bright or jarring appearance.