IMAGE is a peer led museum art group for people with experience of mental health issues who are interested in working with local museums to promote positive mental health and well-being for all their visitors and the local communities surrounding them.
Being peer led means that participants work with each other to draw on the different skills, strengths and knowledge which each person brings. Through this pathway participants are developing new skills and also knowledge of the heritage/cultural sector. The group’s aims are to:
- Inspire: Museum collections, buildings and spaces offer creative inspiration
- Reflect: Museum environments offer calm, quiet places to meet and work
- Develop: Knowledge and skills through access to facilities and staff expertise
- Share: Members will share their individual skills and strengths within the group
- Articulate: Group members will have a ‘voice’ within museums
- Collaborate: The group will work with museums to promote inclusion and well-being through enjoyment of the arts and creativity
- Exhibit: Group members will share and celebrate their work in museum settings
- Empower: Each individual will be empowered through their contribution to the group and to the wider museum communities
- Have fun!!
A good example of what the group does is its design and production in 2019 of a pair of silk banners, inspired by the Museum of Bath Architecture. These stunning banners will be used on the railings outside the museum to draw attention to special events there.
For further practical information about when and where the group meets please click here – information about current Pathways to Wellbing groups.